Please note that there will be no drop-in advising available the afternoon of Wednesday, June 23rd due to an advisor meeting. Peer advisors will remain available for their regular hours at this time. Our regular drop-in advising hours will resume on Thursday, June 24th!
The BSOE Advising Office will be closed for both Peer and Staff advising on Monday, June 28th due to a campus holiday.
Thank you for reaching out to BSOE Advising!
Please review the information below for more information about how to receive advising support from BSOE Undergraduate Advising.
Thank you for your patience!
Examples of types of questions that should be directed to our peer advisor chat hours:
- Quick Questions
- Brief explanations or clarifications of BSOE policies or processes
- Academic Planning Questions: If you have a form that requires an academic plan, or are being asked to submit a signed academic plan to a campus office, please work with a peer advisor on creating and reviewing an academic plan first.
- Time Sensitive Issues - We may not always be able to address matters immediately regardless of urgency, but contacting our peer advisors is the quickest way to connect with our office.
BSOE Peer Advisors will be assisting students on a first come, first served basis during their Peer Advisor Chat Hours.
The Peer Advisor Chat Hours and information on how to chat can be found here.
We offer Drop In advising (no appointment needed!) and can answer questions regarding:
- Short-term academic planning
- Major qualification policy
- Enrollment troubleshooting
Drop-In Advising is intended for questions that will take no more than 15 minutes. If you think your advising question will take more than 15 minutes, please refer to the ‘Other Advising Needs’ section.
Drop-in Advising is available Monday - Friday: 1:30 - 3:30pm. In order to access Drop-In you must go to our Virtual Advising Front Desk and sign in with a peer advisor. To do so please go to the chat by adding (+) email@example.com to your Google Hangouts, using your UCSC email (chat function is on the bottom left of your gmail screen).
Students who have advising needs not mentioned can send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will respond to emails as quickly as possible and are looking forward to connecting with you. However, some responses may take longer, depending on the volume of messages received and the type of question or request.
Our business hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm.
Please see the timelines for some common types of requests that may take longer so that you can plan accordingly.
Forms: If you need a signature on a form, such as for Winter 2021 enrollment, financial aid, Petitions to Extend Enrollment or Part- Time Final Quarter forms, please send email (with a filled-out form attached) to email@example.com We will email you a copy of your completed form.
- Petition to Extend Enrollment: Up to 2 weeks. If there is an active hold on your enrollment or Financial Aid please let us know so that we can prioritize.
- Part-time Final Quarter Approval: Up to 2 weeks
- Department Petitions (Course Substitution, Waiver or Exception to Policy, Course Elsewhere): 2-4 weeks
- Independent Studies: 1 week
- Request for Drop of Major/Minor
- Study Abroad Department Approval Form: 2-4 weeks
- UCSC Extension Concurrent Enrollment
- Signed Academic Plans for Veterans Benefits Verification or for Declaration of a Major or Minor outside of BSOE: 2 weeks
- BSOE Minor Declaration: 2 weeks
- Graduation Requirement Checks: 3-4 weeks
- Fall 2021 Readmission Plans: 1-2 weeks (Appeals or petition approval may be required, so we recommend reaching out 4-6 weeks before the deadline)