The Deans and Chancellor wish to encourage and stimulate outstanding scholarship and creativity among undergraduate students, based on work developed in courses or programs in the normal pattern of 2020-2021 academic activity at UCSC.
All materials, including the faculty letter of support, must be received by March 24, 2021.
DEANS' UNDERGRADUATE AWARDS
Fifty undergraduates, 10 from each of the academic divisions will receive a Dean's Award of $100 for outstanding achievement in their division.
CHANCELLOR'S UNDERGRADUATE AWARDS
Fifteen Chancellor's Awardees, three from each division, will be selected from theDeans' Award lists to receive the Chancellor's Award of an additional $500.
The Steck Award will recognize the most outstanding research project chosen from the fifteen Chancellor's Awardees. This student will receive an additional $1000. In addition, his or her research project will be bound and copies given to the student, the research supervisor, the UC Santa Cruz Library, and the Steck Family whose generous contributions have made this award possible.
Winners of the Deans', Chancellor's and Steck awards will be honored during Undergraduate Student Achievement Week, June 2021.
- All research project submissions must include at least one letter of recommmendation by a faculty mentor/sponsor. Once the student submits their application a seperate email to the mentor listed will be generated automatically containing the link for them to submit the letter of recommendation. All undergraduate students applicants must contact their mentor/sponsor before submitting their application in order to confirm that a letter of support will be possible.
- All applications must include either an attachment of a completed thesis or completed project or performance (by URL). Research projects must be finished when the application is submitted. Projects that are still in progress, or are planned to be completed after the application deadline, should be submitted in the following application cycle. Submitted applications that are incomplete, or do not have a project attachment or link, or are projects that are not yet completed, will be rejected.
- The applicant should choose the one faculty mentor/sponsor of their project who is most familiar with the project and who will be able to provide the strongest letter of recommendation. Only one letter of recommendation is required. Mentors should be UCSC faculty/lecturers/post-docs/researchers etc that have a blue CruzID.
- For group projects, only one student in the group (usually the lead in the project) completes an application. They then must list the other students as project students. Each project member must approve of the application that is submitted.
- When the faculty mentor/sponsor submits their letter of recommendation, they must also approve the submitted project. Faculty sponsor recommendations and approvals must be submitted online immediately after the student application deadline. It is recommended that the mentor/sponsor write the letter as soon as possible after being contacted by the student.
- Foreign language projects must be accompanied by appropriate translation.
- Technical papers must include an abstract in non-technical language.
- Projects completed in spring 2020 (and therefore not submitted in last year’s competition) are eligible for the 2021 awards competition, even if the student has already graduated.
- Previous award winners are only eligible to submit projects in the current application cycle if those projects are significantly different in scope or topic from the previously awarded project.
Click Here to Apply for the Deans', and Chancellor's Award
Application requires use of your CruzID Gold password
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the application or the application guidelines