BSOE Undergraduate Newsletter
Tech4Good Fellows Program
SVIEF is hosting its 9th Annual Tech Forum/Fair this September. It is designed to be an intense, informative and interactive event which focuses on the theme "Beyond the Next Revolution", and features 100+ high-profile speakers and 150+ tech exhibitors.
Some highlights of the expo include:
* 8 Parallel Summits & Sessions: including AI Tech Summit, Global Venture Investment Summit, SVIEF Tech Night Award Ceremony, SVIEF Expo, AI Tech Training Camp, etc.
* 50+ Mainstream Media & Technology Partners: NBC News, ABC, Tencent Technology, IEEE, CCTV, People's Daily Online, Verge, TechCrunch, etc
* 80+ World-class Speakers: speakers to be invited include Andrew Ng, Founder & CEO, Landing AI; Jeff Dean, Senior Fellow, and Lead of Google Brain, etc.
* 100+ Exhibitors: global tech leaders, unicorn startups, technology service providers, etc.
* 10,000+ Professional Attendees: including C-level executives, startup founders, investors, engineers &developers
- Check out our website to learn more about the event: svief.org
- Also if you're interested, use my link to get free tickets:
What: Bayer is partnering with GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS to set a new record for the World’s Highest Alka-Rocket®
- Alka-Rocket® is a Bayer experiment that illustrates how the chemical reaction of Alka-Seltzer tablets and water create pressure—enough to launch a film canister “rocket”
- This event harnesses the most creative and scientific students in universities to design and launch an Alka-Rocket® setting a new Guinness World Record for Highest Alka-Rocket® Launch
- The winning team can win up to $30,000
- Confirmed judges include: Dr. Mae Jemison (NASA Astronaut and Bayer spokesperson), Vice President of Quality for
- Bayer U.S., Karin Ann Payne and a NASA affiliated expert from Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
Why: To demonstrate Bayer’s commitment to promoting STEM-related fields and workforce development
- May 23 – Announce Alka-Rocket® Challenge; Submissions open
- November 1 – Submission Process ends; judges review begins
- November 4 – Fan favorite vote begins
- November 18 – Finalists Announced (Five Teams)
- December 12 – Teams compete at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
Where: December 12th Launch Event will be held at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
Transportation and Lodging for finalists provided by Bayer
*The official title recognized and recorded by GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS is Highest launch of an effervescent tablet rocket
The Tech4Good Lab has a few positions open for undergraduate students from all majors. We are looking for people who are extremely responsible, love learning, and have a strong drive to apply technology for social good. There are a large range of responsibilities we are looking to fill that match a broad range of interests and career goals:
- Needfinding and ideation: interviewing and analysis of interviews to understand nuances of user needs, and to ideate directions for research and products,
- Experience prototyping: early stage prototyping around a product concept, often using existing tools to approximate an experience and testing it with users,
- Interface design: designing, evaluating, and iterating on web interfaces in Figma,
- Web development: coding an app within an Angular/NgRx/Firebase stack,
- Usability and user experience: running usability studies, supporting users, and coding (Angular/NgRx/Firebase) to improve the user experience or to fix bugs,
- Data analytics and visualization: implementing data collection, analytics, and visualization for implementing metrics for research and iteration on products.
You would be contributing to a variety of projects in the lab related to designing systems to better support the future of education, work, and community engagement:
- An app aimed at scaling apprenticeship learning, where people learn web development through micro-roles and help to build websites for nonprofits as they learn,
- An app aimed at microlearning through small groups to create learning environments supporting curiosity, creativity, and relationships,
- An app containing short activities for team/group community building, and also creating "small group networks" that can facilitate interesting collective goals,
- An app aimed at supporting students in exploring potential careers and finding a good match for them.
Joining requires a commitment of 10 hours/week for the quarter for independent study credits. If you are interested, fill out the Tech4Good Lab Interest Form and send an email to David Lee (email@example.com).
The Tech4Good Fellows Program supports a few undergraduate students in learning to develop products for social good while also advancing research in social computing. This one-year program starts in Spring 2020, and consists of 10 hour/wk independent studies during the academic quarter and a full-time, paid summer research position for 12 weeks. Fellows are provided with tremendous learning opportunities in technical, design, product and leadership dimensions of projects within the Tech4Good Lab.
Ideal fellows are (1) curious, life-long learners always looking to expand their knowledge and skills, (2) have strong drive and motivation to apply technology for social good, (3) an effective communicator that gets things done, and (4) strong in one of the following areas: design, development, data analytics.
Apply by January 1, 11:59pm at https://goo.gl/forms/